Wyckoff is located in the northwestern region of Bergen County and was originally inhabited by Lenape Indians. The first settlers were recorded as John and William Van Voor Haze in 1720. The high ridge that connects the current Township with Hawthorne was where the Minsis of northern New Jersey met to barter with the Long Island Indians. The well-known Minnisink Trail from the Delaware River to the Atlantic Ocean ran through the southwestern section and has kept the old Indian name, Sicomac.
Wyckoff’s Parks and Recreation Department includes Russell Farms Community Park, James A. McFaul Environmental Center, Zabriskie Pond Park, and The Gardens of Wyckoff. There are also athletic fields at Wyckoff Community Park, Memorial Town Hall Complex, Pulis Artificial Turf Lacrosse and Soccer Field and the town’s many elementary schools.
The Wyckoff Public School District includes four elementary schools and a middle school; and the Ramapo Indian Hills Regional High School District includes two high schools. There are also two private schools.
For transportation, New Jersey Transit has several bus stops on public roads, as well as a train station in the neighboring town of Waldwick.
Wyckoff also has a strong assortment of emergency services, including a fire department that consists of three companies; a police department that includes a patrol division, a detective division, and a traffic safety division; an ambulance corp, and emergency preparedness.